Our mission is to create an opportunity for all wine lovers anywhere in the world, to be able to enrich any social occasion with the inimitable experience of Tikveš wines and share our passion for life.
We have a penchant go beyond expectations, to embrace innovation and conquer new markets.
In 2003 we undertook a transformation in our professional life. I was determined to pursue continuous improvement. From that moment to the present, I have been devoted to the idea that the colours of this country, its people, its landscape, music and aromas, should all be reflected and communicated in our Macedonian product. All that our painters and musicians have strived to capture in their art, we at Tikveš have attempted to capture in our wines.
In our wines you can feel the mystery of the fogginess and the morning dew in the Barovo valley, the surreal silence of Bela Voda (вода, voda. Eng. water) and the sandy slopes and warm breeze in Lepovo.
If we managed to capture these qualities and if you can truly feel them, it means that we have succeeded in delivering to you, as wine lovers, our dream and vision for Tikveš and our wines.
FRENCH OAK BARRELS
SALES OF BOTTLES ANNUALLY
Tikveš wines grow on sun drenched vineyards, nurtured with lots of love and made and bottled by top experts in the wine industry worldwide. The awards that our wines get are the ultimate proof of our dedication to the highest quality.
… We pick every grape on our vineyards by hand. Grape by grape.
The premium quality of the wines and the awards and prizes from the most prestigious wine competitions and authorities in the world are paving the way for “Tikveš” to the very elite of the world wine industry.
Behind each of these successes stand our continuous investments in knowledge and technology, but also our people, passionately committed to the adventure of creating wine.
As the largest, but also one of the most modern wineries in South-Eastern Europe, we have consciously taken a leading role in the wine industry in the region, on the way of worldwide recognition of our wines.
I have found great terroir locations in Macedonia that benefit from the hot summers and cold winters of the continental climate. These locations are of utmost importance in Europe, differing greatly in a very distinguished way from the terroirs in the other important wine-producing countries, such as Italy, France and Spain.
Here we have wines with greater freshness and mineralogy, with more intense aromas that are fruit-forward in character. There is a general trend to plant European wine varieties, but we at Tikveš Winery have embarked on a new course to recreate the Macedonian wine story, through its history.
We explore the old vineyards to discover wines that cannot be created anywhere else in the world.
We don’t want to interfere too much, we pay our respect to the grapevine and its fruit. On the other hand, our winemaking is very precise and is all about purity. We aim to emphasize the terroir and not mask the wine with tannins. We want to show you the gifts of the vineyards and nature itself.
Head winemaker Marko Stojaković is a key figure at our winery. He is rooted in the region, born in Serbia, but raised and educated in France at Bordeaux and Montpellier.
A protégé of Cambie, he arrived at Tikveš Winery when he was just 27 years old, back in 2010, seeing a real opportunity to make a significant difference.
He explains that though this is a big company, it feels like a home and a family, its people being open and progressive.
He manages a team of 12 oenologists who travel regularly to New Zealand, South Africa and Australia to learn more, which represents an unusually open attitude in the regional practice.
THE AWARD WINNING TEAM
Our people are our greatest value. They are the starting point of all wine stories and adventures. Behind all the success are those who invest themselves in the winery every day, as well as our associates, involved in all segments of the company’s operations, from the vineyards, through winemaking, to the global market. They all comprise the Team of Tikveš, in which we constantly continue to invest, because we strongly believe that people are the pillars of every success.
The Team of Tikveš Winery is the perfect blend of wisdom and youth, experience and enthusiasm, great knowledge and continuous eagerness for learning, talent and desire for constant improvement…
What connects us and what is common for all people of Tikveš is the belief that the success of Tikveš is also an individual success and something that each of us is particularly proud of.
The winemaking tradition in Macedonia and the Tikveš region is long for centuries. Since the times of the Roman Empire it has been written that Macedonia produces amazingly powerful wines with a scent of the vibrant south, the taste of songs and laughter of the people living in this region.
Countless hardworking and skillful wine-growers from the past and the present have been part of the birth of the long winemaking tradition in our country, especially in the region of Tikveš. The immense emerge and promotion of our fine wines all around the world is the result of the significant contribution of the visionaries at Tikveš Winery.
The supreme wines which are the result of a perfect synergy of our vineyards, the sky, the sun and the best grape varieties from the Tikveš region, alongside with state-of-the-art technology and knowledge of wine-masters, proudly create Tikveš Winery.
Since 1885, it is the symbol of the centuries-long winemaking tradition, the largest and most awarded winery in South Eastern Europe and beyond.
- In the period at the end of XIX and the beginning of the XX century, the region of Southeast Europe was swirling in intensive political and social and economic changes. Some of these changes started to awaken the entrepreneurship spirit of individuals and distinguished families in the Tikvesh wine region, who saw the potential for development and commerce it offered, and they started to establish wineries producing quality wines in bottles clearly labeling the geographic origin of the wine. This was the first time the centuries long tradition was given a name which generically connected with the region of origin, i.e… “Tikvesh”. The first time “Tikvesh” was mentioned in a written document was exactly in this period, to be more exact, the year 1885, which is considered the year when organized production and sales of wine first started in Macedonia.
- The occurrence of the phylloxera disease almost completely destroyed authentic varieties of grapes, such as: Zilavka (vitis vinifera), Stanushina, Dimiat (Plovdina) Belerce, Sivjak… causing a devastating blow to the wine-producing industry widely in the region. However, the wine-growers and wine-producers from the Tikvesh region united and brought the American hybrid grape varieties which revived wine-producing in the Tikvesh region.
- The period when the wine production in the Tikvesh region was intensified. “Tikvesh” started to be recognized on the Balkans and broader, and the products of the Tikvesh wine region were sold in Serbia, Albania, Northern Greece, Turkey, Egypt and other countries worldwide.
- The State adopted the Law on Nationalization of private property. In order to increase the production of grapes, wine and brandy, the State established a company which involved all nationalized properties, vineyards, and wine cellars of renowned wine-growing families: Adzilazovi, Velkovi, V’ckovi, Grozdanovi, Danovi, and other. Naturally, this State-owned wine-producing company was named “Tikvesh”. Afterwards was when the construction of a modern winery started with manifold increased capacity.
- The State Company “Tikvesh” went through numerous organization and integration processes. Agro combine “Tikvesh” was created by merging several smaller agricultural holdings. The wine cellar that it had became the biggest winery in Southeast Europe.
- The Wine Archives of “Tikvesh” was established as the chronicler of excellent vintages. Thousands of old bottles carefully storage in this special room in the wine-cellar in Kavadarci bear witness of such excellent vintages. The Wine archive was created upon proposal of Josip Broz Tito, who after visiting “Tikvesh” was convinced that the Winery should store old wines from the best vintages, according to the example of the renowned world wine-producers.
- The creation of the wine “T’ga za jug” (Longing for the South) in honor of the festival “Struga Poetry evenings” which every year is the place of gathering of the most renown poets of the world. On the occasion of one of the visits of the poets to the winery, they had proposed that wine made in their honor be given the name “T’ga za jug”, according to the poem with the same name by the renowned Macedonian poet, Konstantin Miladinov. Because of its refined taste nourished for years and the authentic story stirring emotions and associations with the warmth and beauty of Macedonia, in addition to becoming popular on the domestic market, this wine, became also popular in the countries of the region.
- After the manifold increase of the capacity for storage and aging of the wine, the new central production plant was constructed and commissioned, which provided bottling through an automatic filling line with the capacity of 6.000 bottles per hour.
- During this period, the Strategy of “Tikvesh” was directed to “breaking records” in all production segments. In this regard, it is worth mentioning the year 1984, when, due to the decision to purchase the whole grape harvest from the Tikvesh region, the winery had to use the town’s pool in Kavadarci to temporary store the grapes. During the period, “Tikvesh” significantly increased its production portfolio. It launched the new series of wines “Aleksandrija” which was immediately well received by the customers. “Tikvesh” wines have received numerous awards and recognition for their quality, at all important regional and world fairs and wine competitions. At the same time, the increased grape production quantity required the winery to increase the amount of wine production, which, apart from bottles, had also been placed on the market as keg wine, especially on the markets of former Yugoslavia, and abroad. However, due to the turbulent changes with the disintegration of the Federation at the time, and the deep social and economic changes that followed, “Tikvesh” had to find out new ways how to adjust in order to continue the development.
- The investment group “M6” purchased “Tikveš Winery”, and started a great investment cycle for complete modernization of the winery. Special attention was given to promotion of the production process as a whole, from grape-growing, harvesting, until obtaining the final product. The overall development strategy was directed to increasing wine quality. They started investing in broadening the production portfolio, by introduction of new wines, such as Special Selection and Aleksandria cuvee, and then well renowned and broadly recognized wines of “Tikveš Winery” became part of the “Classic” series.
- The comprehensive investments in “Tikveš Winery” generate results and receive broad international verification. On the „Wine Innovation Forum“ in Paris, “Tikveš Winery” brand was proclaimed one of the 30 most innovative wine brands in the world.
- Launching the new series “terroir” wines “Bela voda” and “Barovo” produced by own strictly controlled vineyards. These wines have been named according to the micro-regions where the vineyard is located, and according to their characteristics, as regards the climate and soil, they provide excellent conditions for growing grapes and production of top quality wines. These wines bear the signature of the renowned enologist and wine consultant Philippe Cambie, whose knowledge and long experience is helping “Tikveš Winery” in its continuous improvement of the wine and in the creation of new sophisticated wines and blends.
- One of the most world renowned wine critics Robert M. Parker graded the wine “Bela voda” with 94 points for the vintage of 2010. With this exceptionally high grade, Parker ranked this red “terroir” wine of “Tikveš Winery” among the top quality and most valued wines in the world. Up to that period, “Bela voda” 2010 was the first wine from Macedonia and the region valued by a renowned world critic. In 2014, Parker repeated the high grades for the wines “Bela voda” from three consecutive vintages, and also the wines “Barovo” were also highly graded.
- Tikveš Winery started a new chapter of its development. Launching of the first wine from the exclusive series produced in the new, small (boutique) winery “Domaine Lepovo”. The overall production process for these exclusive wines is conducted at the same plantation where the vineyard is located, which according to its characteristics is ideal for growing grapes and production of refined wine of excellent quality. Eight wines of the Tikveš Winery received high 93, 94, 95 / 100 points from the world famous wine critic Robert Parker and the team of The Wine Advocate.
- At the most popular world wine competitions, the wines of “Tikveš Winery“ have won more than 50 awards, recognitions and high rankings by world renowned critics. This proves the epithet of “Tikveš Winery” as the most awarded winery in the country, and widely in the region.
- Year when “Tikveš Winery” broke its own record in received awards on the most renewed world wine competitions, reaching the number of 68 awards and recognitions and once again confirming the epithet ‘the most awarded winery’ not only in our country, but also in the region. The red terroir wine “Barovo” from the 2015 vintage won the platinum medal – the highest prize at one of the most significant specialised world wine contests, “Decanter” in London. For the first time, a Macedonian wine has won such a prestigious award worldwide. That same year, the acquisition of French winery Château de Gourdon in the area Côtes du Rhône, took place. This is considered an extremely important step in the development strategy and in expanding the presence on the international wine scene.
- A new brand platform Tikveš Chateaux & Domainеs is launched to include premium wines produced in the specific micro-locations Bela Voda, Barovo, Lepovo and the wines produced in the French winery Château de Gourdon, part of Tikveš since November 2018. The red wine Barovo 2015 wins two significant medals at Decanter 2018, held in London, UK. Being awarded a gold medal by the judging panel, this wine was then part of a special tasting session during which it was singled out from other winners of high prizes and awarded a platinum medal.